Isn’t the country suppose to be quiet?

When we moved our camper out to the farm house, I was prepared for the quiet.  I have trouble sleeping when it is too quiet and I worried about not being able to get to sleep.  Luckily, I have a husband who snores….loudly, so that helps.  Most of the time, however, I noticed the quiet in a good way.  Every once in a while I could hear an owl hooting in the early morning.  I did NOT hear the cars, sirens, and helicopters that I use to hear in town at all hours.  Ahhhh….peace and quiet…just what we wanted.

Then, the beet harvest started.  I was prepared for this, too.  I knew we had a beet dump across the street and was ready for the hundreds of trucks at all hours pulling in across the way to dump beets.  When the harvest started, we worried about the thunder of beets hitting empty trucks keeping us up all night, but it really wasn’t that bad.  The trucks were slowing down by the time they drove by, the “thunder” wasn’t really all that loud, and we knew it was only for a limited time.

A few days before we closed on the house, a bunch of construction equipment showed up in the corn field across the street and started moving dirt around.  A lot of dirt.  It was obvious they were preparing for something big.  About 5 days ago, this is what showed up:

Uh…ya, so there’s that across the street now.


So, I guess these monstrosities only stick around for a couple weeks and move on.  The equipment that sticks around after isn’t too horrible to look at.  Could be worse.

My positive attitude about it only lasts during the day.

At night, the drill is loud, but it is bearable.  What is not bearable is the incessant beeping from backing up trucks.  You wake up to it, then it stops for a while so you fall back asleep, then it starts up again.  Like a snooze button nightmare.  Beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep…  Still, we have fought through it thinking that it’s just for a short time.

Until last night.

Last night, the fu*kers had music going through the loud speaker at 3 in the morning.  Uh, ya, not okay.  Some Kanye West crap.  It was like some sort of torture procedure.  I actually was not woken up by the music, but by the hubby getting out of bed, getting dressed, and storming down the stairs and out the front door at 3:30.

Needless to say, the music was off before he got back to the house.  Apparently they will be there 10 more days.  They better keep the music off.

About admin

Wife, mom, small business owner, and hobby farm hopeful.
This entry was posted in Meanderings. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Isn’t the country suppose to be quiet?

  1. Kay says:

    Call the drilling company and bitch! They need to know what’s going on! Jerks should know better. Glad the old ball and chain set them straight. Thurmond told me that they work more at night because they don’t have to worry as much about safety regulations and crap. We had one of those stupid things for 10 weeks. I was about ready to go shoot them when they finally left.

    • admin says:

      I know they have a job to do, but the music was just too much. I think we can make it 10 more days. Then, it is moving close to the house of the people who own the land, so they can experience the nightmare they are exposing others to! They guy in the warm, clean office didn’t know the guys had music on the loud speaker. He freaked when Sean told him and responded very quickly.

  2. Lori says:

    Maybe you need a donkey? Roosters? Some animals to chime in and make a whole musical experience out of this. ha! Love your writing.

  3. Aunt Jane says:

    If there is a next time, Sean needs to have his BIGGEST weapon comfortably resting in his hand\arm… Sean is pretty intimidating as it is but every little bit helps with roughnecks

  4. Pingback: Gas drilling gives me intestinal distress | Our House Journey

Leave a Reply